Hawaii Medical Marijuana Card Laws
June 17, 2016
Hawaii Medical Marijuana Card
Under Hawaii medical marijuana law, qualifying patients must register with and obtain a registration certificate (sometimes referred to as a medical marijuana card, cannabis card, or pot card) from the Narcotics Enforcement Division (NED) — a division of Hawaii’s Department of Safety. The registration certificate is valid for one year, and qualifying patients are required to report changes in information, to the Department, within five business days.
HOW TO OBTAIN A MEDICAL CANNABIS CARD IN HAWAII
- Hawaii law requires a qualifying patient receive a written recommendation from their primary care physician — *Find a certified
- To qualify, a patient needs to be diagnosed by a physician as having one of the following debilitating medical conditions that is specifically identified in the law:
- Cancer, Glaucoma, HIV/AIDS, or the treatment of these conditions;
- A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces one or more of the following:
- Cachexia or wasting syndrome;
- Severe pain;
- Severe nausea;
- Seizures, including those characteristic of epilepsy; or
- Severe and persistent muscle spasms, including those characteristic of multiple sclerosis or Crohn’s disease; or
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), effective July 2015.
- Additional medical condition may be approved by the department of health pursuant to administrative rules, in response to a request from a physician or potentially qualifying patient.
- The physician will request a written certification form from the Narcotics Enforcement Division of the Department of Public Safety by calling (808) 837-8470, to be completed upon your evaluation
- Send the completed certification form along with a copy of your photo ID and a check for the registration fee ($25 for the patient plus $25 for the caregiver, if any) to:
Narcotics Enforcement Division (NED)
3375 Koapaka St., Suite D-100
Honolulu, HI 96819
Phone: (808) 837-8470
Fax: (808) 837-8474